Best Espresso Machine Under 200: Top 10 Budget Espresso Machines
Best Espresso Machine Under 200
If you’re anything like us, it is easier to put down a shot of espresso than it is to guzzle down 8 ounces of coffee. Unfortunately, espresso machines are quite expensive which is why we have put together a list for the best espresso machine under 200 dollars.
Aside from water, coffee is the most consumed drink in the world. Most people consume it daily for both the caffeine and the health benefits of it. It serves as fuel for the morning and evening crowds, making it a perfect all day beverage choice. Whether you are a first responder putting in a long shift, a student studying for a big exam, or a mom trying to make it through the day, coffee helps!
These machines may not produce the absolute best espresso, but they get the job done with a version we like to call "depresso espresso" (DIY espresso at home). Rather than spending all that money for a Starbucks double shot espresso, check out our list for the best espresso machine under 200 dollars.
Just so you know, if you click on a product and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission.
|Under $200 Machines||Pros||Price|
Best Overall Pick
Second Overall Pick
Best Budget Pick
Coming in at number one on our list is a true espresso machine that is capable of putting out high quality shots of espresso, say hello to Mr Coffee. If that is what you are looking for, don't both reading any further as this is your best option at the time of writing this.
Although it comes with an optional coffee grinder, we recommend just getting the espresso machine and find a grinder from our list of the best coffee grinders. For those of you with specific themes in your kitchen, you'll be happy to know that the Mr Coffee Café Barista comes in red, silver or white.
Starting with it's abilities, the Mr Coffee features a 3 in 1 feature that can produce espresso, cappuccino or lattes. If you know anything about espresso machines then you'll know that you can make just about any specialty drink with a good shot of espresso, and that is exactly what this appliance can do!
Yes, the Mr Coffee may not have a pump system similar to that of a commercial espresso machine, but it does have a 15 bars of pressure in the pump, which will create more than enough pressure for the crema you so desperately desire. The water tank and milk reservoir are also easy to clean and are removable.
Lastly, the Mr Coffee is a one touch wonder, simply press a button and it'll do the rest for you once you are ready to brew. Whether you need a single or a double shot, the Café Barista has you covered. For the price, you just can't beat this workhorse which is why we placed it at our number one spot.
In order to be the number one machine, there needs to be some amazing features that make the device stand out. Well, Mr Café sure didn't let us down here.
- 15 bars of pressure
- single and double shots
- 3 in 1 functionality
- Easy to clean and use
Even the greatest fall down sometimes, and although the Cafe Barista doesn't fall down, it does stumble a little.
- Like every machine on this list, the process is a bit manual. If you want something a bit more automated that will grind the beans, be sure to check out our home espresso machine guide.
- This espresso maker is beautiful, but it's plastic. For the stainless steel option, look for our next review down below of the De'Longhi.
The De'Longhi 15 Bar Pump Espresso Maker is a great runner-up to the previous espresso maker. If you want to upgrade from plastic to stainless steel, stick with this model. Depending on when you are reading this, the price may be above or below it's current mark of $200, but you can typically find it on sale throughout the year.
Starting with the 15 bar bump, this espresso maker excels at pulling a creamy, crema-rich shot of espresso. If you are new to the game, crema is what you want as it gives the shot of espresso all of it's flavor. The De'Longhi can use coffee pucks, or you can use fresh ground coffee which we recommend.
This device will self prime to ensure the pressure is ready and it comes with a steam wand for that perfect milk foam you want in a latte, cappuccino or any other specialty drink. This wand can also serve as a cleaning mechanism as it pushes out extremely hot steam which can be used to get your appliances cleaned off in no time.
The De'Longhi also comes with an adequate 1.3 Liter water tank and a 44oz. milk reservoir, which can come off and be kept in your fridge. Keeping and using cold milk is an essential when preparing your steamed milk, so this little contraption comes in handy.
Although there aren't any fancy LCD screens, or automated features, the De'Longhi is a great option if you are searching for an espresso maker while on a budget.
Coming in at number two on our list, the De'Longhi features a whole slew of features to rave about.
- The De'Longhi 15 Bar Pump Espresso Maker comes in a sleek stainless steel design.
- Utilizes 15 bars of pressure for an excellent pull.
- Offers single or double shot espresso.
- Matte black steam wand with easy cleaning functionality.
There isn't much to complain about here with such a beautiful and compact device, but if we had to pick something that we didn't like, it would be the following.
- No internal grinder, which is common among budget espresso makers.
- With a beautiful design comes one disadvantage, easy to create finger prints on the finish.
Coming in at number three on our list is the Brewsly 15 Bar. Coming in at a similar price point to that of our previously mentioned best espresso machines under 200, it is a great third option and may be better suited for some of you.
If you are in need of something compact, stainless steel, simple and great at pulling shots, then this is hands down your best option. The quality of the espresso that this machine produces is absolutely great thanks to it's 15 bar pump. Many people have compared it to some of the best commercial espresso, which may be a bit far fetched...
The machine is also equipped with a dual temperature control setting. This ensures that the water and milk are mixed at different temperatures. This will help you get optimal shots of espresso and milk foam. Since you don't want a cold latte, or overheated milk, the temperature controls are a great added feature.
Also, the Brewsly 15 bar machine can be adjusted to contain larger cups with ease for those of you looking to pull a triple espresso shot. It is worth pointing out that this may be every coffee lovers dream, but you still will need a coffee grinder to grind your espresso beans fine enough. If you need help picking out some beans, be sure to check out our espresso bean blend!
There are some features of this espresso machine that users love and enjoy. Some of these features include:
- The stainless steel body is easier to tidy up as compared to other body types.
- It is small and compact, as well as light weight and easy to move.
- It doesn’t take long for the coffee to brew so it saves you time when you are in a hurry, much quicker than waiting in a long line for a Starbucks double shot espresso.
While the machine has many features that we love, there are some features we wish we could change. Some of these features include:
- While the larger coffee mugs and espresso cups will fit underneath, it takes a bit of a struggle to do so. This is minor, but for those of us that drink coffee all day long, it is a slight annoyance.
- The temperature in which the espresso comes out at is not the hottest, especially if you plan to add milk and other coffee condiments.
Best Budget Option
You may be seeing a common trend here and that is that De'Longhi is well known for it's budget friendly espresso machines. While Breville seems to steal the show for anything pricier for at home espresso machines, the various De'Longhi series seem to take the cake for those trying to save a little bit of money.
Like the other machines we reviewed previously, the Stilosa can pull a superb shot of espresso, but at half the price. Featuring 15 bars of pressure, you may be wondering why this appliance isn't the number one espresso machine under 200 dollars.
In addition to the optimal pump pressure achieved by this appliance, it can provide various specialty coffee drinks as well due to it's included milk steamer. Therefor, whether you need a latte, cappuccino or any other creative espresso brew, the De'Longhi Stilosa has you covered!
What we love most about this option is that it comes in a matte black finish with both plastic and stainless steel materials. This combination is used to help keep the cost down while guaranteeing the quality of the pieces that matter most.
What more do you want us to say when the De'Longhi is already the best budget option? Well, there is a lot actually.
- Features a crisp matte black outer shell.
- Boasts 15 bars of pressure even at half of the price.
- Milk frother included for lattes, cappuccinos, and more.
- Low price for excellent single or double shots of espresso.
Naturally, when you find a budget friendly option, some features need to be stripped to make room for the essential pieces while keeping the price down.
- Obviously, this doesn't include a grinder, but nor do the others.
- Steam wand doesn't do a great job at producing steam. The reviews seem to point this out often.
- The pressure doesn't always seem to be 15 bars despite the ratings. At such a low price, it certainly doesn't surprise us if it lacks consistency here and there.
Coming in at the number five spot is the Capresso Ultimate Pro, a black and silver espresso maker that utilizes 15 bars of pressure to put out a great shot of espresso. Whether you need a single or double shot, this espresso model can do it all. Need a latte or cappuccino, no problem!
The Capresso Ultimate Pro is able to make just about any specialty espresso drink, thanks to it's built-in high powered steaming wand. With just a press of a button, you are able to deliver the perfect creamy milk foam to your latte cup.
This device is simple to use and clean, featuring a removable 34 ounce water reservoir and a polished stainless steel outer shell. Even though fingerprints and smudges show up easily, the Capresso can be easily wiped down with a wet rag.
Like the other espresso machines mentioned in our list, there is a lot to love about this device.
- Offers a 15 bar pump for adequate shots of espresso.
- Milk frother and steam wand included.
- Both single and double shot offerings.
- Latte and Cappuccino maker functionality.
- Features a cheap looking and feeling plastic outer shell.
- Reviews are mediocre compared to the previously mentioned espresso machines.
- No removable drip tray which will cause your plastic to get quite messy.
Okay, let's be honest, a Nespresso machine is quite different from an espresso maker or a coffee maker. However, we felt the need to include one as it is a great budget friendly way to achieve a similar result. If you find yourself just stumbling upon these wonderful machines, be sure to check out our guide on the Best Nespresso Machine.
By pressing a single button, you are able to create a wonderful cup of coffee, or espresso, at ease. The quality of the coffee and espresso is equivalent to that of what a professional barista could produce. You don’t need any added instructions, just put in the coffee pod and press the button.
The capsules you use in this machine will only be Nespresso capsules which are still cheaper than going to Starbucks for a Starbucks double shot espresso. The Nespresso machine can make coffee in five different cup sizes. Whether you want a just a little coffee, or enough to serve an office, the machine can handle it. We may refer to it as a depresso espresso, but there is nothing depressing about this machine.
The espresso machine is smart enough to ensure that each coffee cup has a similar result. Without focusing on weighing out your ground coffee like many of us coffee snobs do, you can get a similar and consistent experience delivered to your latte cup, every time. One reason we classify this as one of the best espresso machines under 200 dollars is because it has technology that can identify the cup size and brew your coffee appropriately, which is not a common feature for an espresso maker.
The Nespresso Vertuo is also lightweight, weighing in at just 40oz. There is a water tank which is detachable, so it is easy to refill, and the water heats up quickly so you will have your coffee or espresso in seconds. Lastly, every new Nespresso machine comes with free capsules for up to 12 coffee servings. Although these espresso pods will be gone before you know it, it makes for a nice surprise when you open the box.
Nespresso machines come with some benefits that makes them a great choice. These benefits are common but not all espresso machines have them. These include:
- It is energy saving and it automatically powers off if you don’t use it for 9 minutes.
- It has a one touch brew feature, so it is very easy to use. No need for measuring.
- The water tank can be removed and replaced easily, making it easy to clean and use.
There are only a few features that users are not comfortable with. Some of these features include:
- You can only use Nespresso cups with the machine. So, if you don’t have one, you can’t make a shot of espresso, or a Triple Espresso as some of you prefer.
- The espresso that comes out is not always the hottest, which means that your espresso cup and steamed milk should be as warm as possible to maintain the temperature.
The Nescafe Dolce Gusto espresso machine is another Nespresso machine, similar to the last one we covered. The Nescafe is designed to apply pressure to the coffee pods, to produce the best flavor and aroma. When the espresso and coffee pods are made, the pod is sealed to maintain the aroma and flavor for you, allowing for the best coffee experience.
The machine can make at least 15 different flavors and types of coffee. Therefore, you can get variety from this machine or stick with your preferred choice. We love the espresso shot that this Nespresso machine is able to put out, even if it isn't technically an espresso shot.
Another bonus to this device is that it is extremely easy to navigate and master. You get to choose how intense your coffee flavors are and you even get notified by an LED light during the process. The Nescafe Dolce Gusto is usually made to fit the voltage demands of circuitry of homes in the USA. When the machine is inactive for five minutes, it powers off to save power.
Although you can't make a triple espresso in one pull, it certainly tastes like it is a triple espresso. With such an easy brewing time and ample room under the coffee spout, a triple espresso is easily achievable.
There are many features that people seem to enjoy on this budget friendly espresso machine. Some of these features include:
- The espresso machine is easy to operate, no barista needed which is why we are deeming it one of the best espresso machines under 200 dollars.
- The design of the machine is elegant and sleek, allowing for you to proudly display it on your coffee station.
- Whether it’s decaf espresso, blonde espresso or a triple espresso, this machine can do it all.
While the machine is a great product, there are some things that people wish could be changed. Some of these things include:
- The water compartment does not detach easily, so refilling the water can be stressful.
- Again, like the other machines we have mentioned, the temperature of the actual espresso can be a little too cold for some that plan to add a heavy serving of milk or cream to the espresso cup.
Coming in at the number eight spot is the Hamilton Beach Espresso Machine which some see as a budget friendly option for the best espresso machine under 200 dollars. With a small and compact frame, this black and stainless steel finished device is a great option if you are on a budget.
Like the others on the list, this 15 bar pressure pump can pull a great espresso shot and is capable of making lattes and cappuccinos thanks to it's milk frothing abilities. Although it won't taste quite the same compared to your favorite coffee shop, it certainly gets the job done.
In addition to it's milk frothing system and abilities, it is easy to use, with a removable water tank and drip tray. Not only that, but the Hamilton Beach also includes a cup warmer which is quite a surprising feature. Needless to say, this espresso appliance can get the job done.
Lastly, with a the ability to pull one or two espresso shots, you'll be able to enjoy various cup sizes of your favorite drink. If you are on a budget, definitely consider a Hamilton Beach!
With so many great espresso makers on our list, it can be quite overwhelming to pick from the lot. The Hamilton Beach doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it certainly has everything you'd need or want from an espresso maker.
- Capable of producing a latte, espresso and cappuccino.
- Removable water tank for easy cleanup and preparation.
- Includes a milk frother that can swivel.
The Hamilton Beach doesn't have anything that jumps out as being a deal breaker, but it does have a few noticeable items we feel should be pointed out.
- The reviews seem to point out that the espresso shots aren't the best on this machine, whether it be from a lack of pressure, too little or too much ground espresso, or something else entirely. Needless to say, these reviews are a bit worrisome.
At number nine, we have the Barsetto Espresso Machine. Using an excellent pressure system, this Barsetto espresso machine is able to easily and efficiently extract the ground coffee, ensuring that your espresso has the best flavor and aroma possible. You can also adjust the machine to produce different strength levels.
By altering the milk settings, you get a different flavor each time depending on how much milk you would like in your cappuccino cup. The wand can also help to mix the coffee with the milk to ensure you get a well balanced and frothy beverage. This frothing wand won’t help you with your latte art though, but it’s a start.
Traditionally, people consume their espresso beverage with a darker roasted espresso coffee bean. However, the third wave culture likes to experiment with lighter blonde espresso beans which we highly recommend giving a try in this machine.
Lastly, the temperatures of milk and the water can have a huge impact on the quality of the espresso. You can adjust both to get the taste you desire, which will make it feel as though you are at your favorite café. Luckily, the water tank is big, so you don’t have to refill the tank after every cup.
There are some features on this espresso machine that many coffee drinkers prefer over other machines. Some of these features include:
- It makes coffee at different temperatures depending on the requirements of the user, like we said, it is highly temperature controlled.
- The espresso machine is small, so it doesn’t take up much space on your coffee stand. It is also lightweight and easy to move.
- The quality that this espresso machine puts out is top quality.
Even though the coffee maker is a fantastic choice, there are a few things we would change if we had the chance. Some of these features include:
- The machine requires a little more power to run which is expected for such an efficient device capable of extracting a delicious espresso.
- Replacement parts are expensive which is to be expected with a higher end model.
10. Ninja Specialty Latte and Cappuccino Maker
Yes, we know that the Ninja Specialty Coffee Maker isn't an espresso machine, but it can achieve a similar taste if you are just looking for a strong, concentrated shot of coffee. With a milk frother attachment, the Ninja can serve as a cappuccino machine and a coffee machine.
Also, some people prefer iced coffee which you can create with this coffee machine. Just pour your freshly brewed coffee into a cold pitcher, and once it cools down, pour it over ice. Additionally, there are different sizes of coffee you can brew in this machine.
The Ninja Specialty Fold Away Frother may not be a great choice if you only are looking for espresso shots, but if you need something with dual functionality, this Ninja steals the show as it has been featured on both our Best Coffee Maker and Dual Coffee Maker buying guides.
The product has a few features that make it a perfect choice for your coffee needs. Some of these features include:
- You can also wash it using a dishwasher as it is dishwasher friendly.
- The water reservoir is detachable. So, you can easily refill it when it is empty.
- Dual Coffee Maker as it can brew a pot of coffee or make a delicious latte.
- Preserve temperature of the coffee: The coffee can remain hot for as long as four hours.
There are some of the features of this coffee machine that we may not like even though it is a great overall coffee maker. Some of these features include:
- No milk steamer, so you need to heat your milk separately.
- Although this can be used as an "espresso machine", the strongest setting tastes more like a coffee concentration which is good enough for some. If you are looking for crema, this may not be the best option.
Best Espresso Machine
Although these machines that we have listed above are some great budget-friendly options, there are better home espresso machines if you are willing to spend a little more to maximize the quality. We have tested the difference between these home espresso machines and the budget friendly options mentioned above, and there is a noticeable difference in the espresso shot quality.
What is the best cheap espresso machine?
If you are looking for the best cheap espresso machine, we recommend the Mr Coffee Cafe Barista or the De'Longhi 15 Bar listed above as the number one and two for best espresso machine under 200 dollars. Although there are some cheaper options, we feel that you lose too much when you downgrade to one of the budget friendly options.
Best Espresso Machine Under 100
The best espresso machine under 100 dollars is the De'Longi Stilosa which came in at number four on our list. This machine features a 15 bar pressure pump, a high quality steam wand for making lattes and cappuccinos, a small and compact frame, a removable water reservoir and a sleek matte black outer shell.
Best Espresso Machine Under 500
If you are searching for the best espresso machine under 500 dollars, your best bet is to buy a semi automatic Breville Infuser, which we mentioned in some of our other espresso machine guides. Overall, it is an excellent workhorse at puling shots of espresso, comes with a high powered steam wand for creamy milk foam, boasts a hardened stainless-steel finish and is incredibly professional in terms of aesthetics and performance.
What is the easiest espresso machine to use?
The easiest espresso machine to use is one that requires the least amount of interaction from the consumer. Ideally, if your budget allows for it, the easiest espresso machine to use is a fully automatic espresso machine, such as the Breville Oracle Touch. We recommend this appliance as it takes the manual interaction out of the consumer's hand, automating the entire process. Plus, the Breville Oracle is capable of being a coffee shop espresso maker, as well as home espresso machine.
Conclusion: Espresso Machines Under 200
Espresso machines are designed to make the process simple. You put your finely ground coffee into the machine, add your water and watch the delicious shot of espresso pour into your espresso cup. Espresso machines are becoming more elaborate and expensive as the demand is increasing, especially if you want to pull a flavorful and crema rich shot of espresso. However, there are still cost effective options available when buying an espresso machine.
If you came here looking for the simple and easy answer, then the Mr Coffee Cafe Barista and the De'Longhi 15 Bar are your best options to pick from. After combing through the features, ratings and reviews, these were the two that stood out above all of the others while maintaining the price range of 200 bucks. If you find yourself buying one of these, or any from our list, we hope that it brings you perfect espresso shots to caffeinate your days!